Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ballet schools: Confidence vs. Technique?

My daughter is beginning 2nd year of dance (7 years old). I had her in one studio all year until I found out the owner yells at the girls, and I don't feel comfortable around the owner. I took her to another studio to try it out over the summer. It is owned by a woman who has worked as a professional ballerina, has worked with Robert Joffrey, and has extensive experience teaching. My daughter complains that the owner (and teacher) doesn't give them water breaks (she admitted she didn't ask for one) and doing the balance' at the 2nd studio is different (it is done the RIGHT way at the 2nd studio) and it hurts her arms. I tried to explain that ballet is going to hurt sometimes and would she consider the 2nd studio since the owner and instructor has worked with a famous dancer. She said no, she wanted to stay with the 1st studio.



I got a letter in the mail today that the 1st studio owner wants her to become a company dancer: a confidence builder, but she'll learn poor tecnique...



Ballet schools: Confidence vs. Technique?ballet theater



coming from a dancer-- its all about technique if she wants to be a good dancer but if she is just doing it for a hobby and doesnt really care then she should do whatever she wants to do but its her choice!



Ballet schools: Confidence vs. Technique?chicago theater opera theater



I'm 16 and I have been dancing since I was about 3. I know that at my dance studio the girls are expected to get drinks/go to the bathroom before coming to class. This is mainly because otherwise the girls will be going in and out of class during the entire class and it won't allow them time to learn.



I assist in teaching some dance classes that are usually around 2nd-5th grade, so about your daughters age. So I am around girls that age alot. So I know how hectic it can get if girls are running back and forth to the bathroom/bubbler. The truth is your daughter isn't going to die if she doesn't drink for an hour or so.



All in all, I think this is a decision your daugther probably should make! I don't think that a teacher should EVER yell at their students and that is the reason I left my old studio at about 7 or 8. But in my opinion if she'll be taught with more quality and won't be yelled at if she goes to the second studio then I think she should go there. Be cautioned that confiendence is a very important thing! Because if your child has no confiendence they won't feel comfortable learning and then it really won't matter how good the technique is. Also company is a very great experience! I've been doing it for about 5 years now and I take extra technique ballet classes. So if it would be possible for you to enroll her in a class specifically for technique then I would suggest doing that.
I am not a dancer but I have friends who are. However I think that having confidence over things are more important than technique. Because techniques can be learned anytime, it can be improved over time. It may be tough to improve but having no confidence over things will be worse. Its important for kids to feel that they belong somewhere, have faith in someone who will encourage them, teach them and help them. If she is okay with the yelling, maybe she finds them comforting that somebody cares, someone wants to help me be better.



If she wants to be a professional dancer or a company dancer in the future then first build her confidence and then go to some place with better techniques which will toughen her up. Then she will be all good to go. As long as she has the heart to do it, then no matter how tough the task can be, she will be successful in the furture.
well, as the other answerers said, if she wants to go professional, then technique is obviously very important.



but remember, it takes a special personality and a great love of ballet to be able to be constantly critiqued, and still enjoy class.



as an example, there are two studios in my area, both are really good, but one is more relaxed than the other. the professionalism is no different between the two, but the teaching styles are different. i find that the older and more experienced girls in the relaxed studio are better than the girls at the other studio, because they genuinely love dancing and havn't been burned out. many of the older girls at the other studio, actually end up quitting, hating ballet, because it was such a negative experience.



good luck with your decision!
well both confidence and technique r very important but if she wants to dance when she is older she will need proper technique! if she really doesnt like the second studio maybe try another studio. and yes dance does hurt when done the right way! if she want to do pointe when shes older, its gonna hurt even more! and if she wants to do pointe, she could get seriously injured if she does not have proper technique. i



if the second studio doesnt give them water brakes, she could ask the teacher if it was allright if she brought a water bottle into class. if not, she can always get drinks in-between classes.



believe it or not, i had a similar problem about 2 years ago, i am 13 now. i felt i was not getting as much out of dancing at this studio as i should be, u c this studio was all about winning at competions, not about proper technique so i went to a new studio with a smaller company, but learned so much better technique and loved it so much more! now i would never go back to the first studio. i myself saw how much better i did at competitions on my solos, and got to be a finalist in a scholarship audtions, i was even accepted into American Ballet Theare's summer dance intensive. but none of this would have happened if i hadent gone to the studio that cared about technique.



so if she really does not like the second studio, try another one, because not learning proper technique is a waste of time, she will need to learn all over when she is older if she continues dancing.



hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd